buy a tree for africa


The deadly Corona pandemic has in a very short time been terribly devastating to people around the globe, and the far-reaching consequences are now also affecting the world’s nature and wildlife. In the Masai Mara Kenya, which today is one of the most beloved safari areas due to its enormous wealth of wildlife, the green gates are wide open – open and unprotected. Many years of projects to give the locals in the area better living conditions in harmony with nature, crumble between the hands.

The vulnerable nature and wildlife in the area were already under increasing pressure from climate change, deforestation and poaching, and while the vital income from tourism is dwindling, poachers get free play and locals have to use the scarce natural resources. A catastrophic development in an area that had just made great strides in recreating and protecting nature.

Up to 80% of the original tree planting in the Masai Mara has disappeared. Tree planting has primarily disappeared because the growing population in the area has cut down the trees for building materials and fuel. More than half of the remaining nature in the Masai Mara today stands unprotected and is experiencing massive pressure from agriculture and investors who want to transform the Masai Mara in Kenya into anything but the natural gem for which the reserve is world famous.

The situation has now been further aggravated by the Corona pandemic, so director Jesper Stagegaard, who heads the Karen Blixen Camp Trust, sends out a clear cry of hope in the hope that the Danes will be released to the area.


Gate To Nature will, over the autumn and winter, together with Alex Høgh Andersen and Malte Ebert, make an extraordinary effort to help nature and wildlife in the Masai Mara, Kenya.

We can make a huge effort by replanting trees!

We need 1 million trees.


The extensive deforestation in the Masai Mara is causing problems for many of the area’s animals.

The animals in the area feed on ia the leaves on the trees during the periods of the year when there is not so much food.

The extensive deforestation, at the same time, makes the wildlife more vulnerable to poaching, and eg the area’s lionesses need hiding places to feed and store their young, so they are well protected from buffaloes, other lions and hyenas when they come into the world .

Therefore, it is important that the planting and vegetation that was previously a natural part of the Masai Mara is recreated.

How To Plant Trees VI

The new trees will be planted as seedballs, ie. seeds from naturally occurring trees in the area, which with elephant manure are made into small balls, which are spread in the area. 90% of the seedballs we sow in the area turn into trees that are 1.5 – 2 meters high in 3 – 5 years. It works and will make a big difference.


One of the projects in the Karen Blixen Camp Trust that has been affected is the pearl project “the Beading Project”. The purpose is to ensure the independence of the local Masai women, but the absence of visitors means that the income is lacking.

32 women from the nearby local village of Mararianda, meet every weekday to make jewelry at Karen Blixen Camp. All the jewelry is sold in Karen Blixen Camp and Ree Park Safari, and in full accordance with the fair trade principles, the women keep 70% of the sale price, while the remaining 30% goes to nature conservation in the Masai Mara.

For the women, this means that they help to preserve their nature and at the same time get an income that enables them to pay for their children’s education and basic needs such as food and clothing and medicine.

Select your currency
EUR Euro